Liberal pundits expressed outrage at Donald Trump Jr.’s impressive collection of wall-mounted guns, seen in the background of a video Donald Trump’s son posted to social media.
The video: In footage shared to Rumble and Twitter on Sunday, Trump slammed teachers who oppose school reopenings or refuse to return to work despite having received COVID-19 vaccines.
- Teachers’ unions in Chicago and Fairfax County, Virginia have sparked controversy in recent weeks by resisting attempts to get teachers to resume in-person learning.
- Trump accused teachers of doing “whatever they can to avoid going back.”
- “You’ve seen the way in the last couple of months the way they’ve basically held up progress [and] prevented schools from opening,” Trump said, with the wall of guns behind him. “The teachers’ union and those representing them have definitely failed our children in terms of education and everything else.”
The reaction: Journalists and liberal social media commenters responded to Trump’s video by expressing alarm at the gun rights advocate’s display of firearms.
- “This looks and sounds like an extremist video posted from a bunker of undisclosed location,” tweeted Vox journalist Aaron Rupar.
- Randi Weingarten, president of the American Federation of Teachers – one of the largest teachers’ unions in the country – tweeted that Trump’s video felt “like a threat in this climate.”
- “This is your GOP, crackpot son of the former president releases video with weapons visible to send coded message that it’s time to take up arms,” tweeted one commenter. “We slept on January 6 because people didn’t heed the warning signs and yet here we go again, this isn’t a dog whistle it’s a bullhorn!”