Video posted to social media shows an an apparent antifa activist using pepper spray on a man and his dog in San Diego on Saturday.
The moment: About 100 supporters of President Donald Trump and 100 counterprotesters faced off on the city’s Pacific Beach boardwalk during the afternoon.
- Most of the counterprotesters, who were anti-fascists and Black Lives Matter supporters, wore antifa-style black bloc, all black clothing and face coverings.
- Others wore “antifa” T-shirts and hats.
At one point, a man walking his dog approached a group of the counterprotesters who were waving an antifa flag.
- When the dog began barking, one black-clad member of the antifa group hit both the animal and the man with a cloud of what appeared to be pepper spray.
The end: The anti-fascists and other counterprotesters gathered on the boardwalk to counter a pro-Trump “Patriot March” planned for 2 p.m.
- Dozens of police officers in riot gear separated the clashing groups and later broke up the gathering with pepper balls.
- Officers were hit with rocks, bottles and eggs, police said, and the crowd directed pepper spray at them.
The march had been scheduled long before pro-Trump protesters stormed the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday.