An explicit billboard depicting President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris as “sh*t heads” is causing controversy in Maryland.
The billboard: The billboard, put up last week in Huntingtown, southeast of Washington, D.C, features a cartoon image of Biden and Harris’ heads atop piles of feces.
- “Don’t blame Trump!” it says. “You are stuck with these two sh*theads!!! From all your deplorables in Calvert County.”
The reaction: “It’s just vulgar,” Jeanette Flaim, the chair of the Calvert County Democratic Central Committee, told Fox 5 News on Wednesday.
- “Kids are going to school, and they’re going by it every day, and parents are driving their kids. We just don’t think kids should have to see that or parents should have to explain that.”
But the Board of County Commissioners has said it’s powerless to do anything about the billboard, as with previous conservative-themed signs posted at the location over the years.
- “There is nothing that we as county government can do for language that’s on a legal sign,” Buddy Hance, the board president, said at a meeting of the commissioners last Tuesday.
- “You know this country was built on the foundation of free speech, and sometimes we like what that free speech says and sometimes we don’t.”
The mystery: “Now, figuring out who exactly is responsible for this billboard has been tough,” said Fox 5 reporter Josh Rosenthal.
- “I asked the county, I asked Flaim, I asked people who live on the property — they did give me the number for a woman, but she said she’s not responsible. So, long story short, we’re still trying to figure this one out.”
When a similar billboard was posted at the same location in 2018, the county sheriff persuaded an unidentified local man to take it down of his own volition.