Celebrity lawyer Lin Wood responded Sunday to his failure to secure the South Carolina GOP chairmanship by affirming his belief that former President Donald Trump is in control of the situation.
The post: Wood, a prominent Trump loyalist and conspiracy theorist, declared in a Telegram post that the former president is a “genius” who “plays chess at a level we will never fully understand.”
- Despite Trump’s endorsement of Wood’s rival, incumbent Drew McKissick, Wood said his “faith in President Trump has never wavered.”
- “P.S. The SCGOP is a swamp,” he concluded. “In time, the RINOS will be defeated. Watch it happen.”
The election: McKissick, a firm supporter of the former president, won Saturday’s election handily with 68% of delegates to Wood’s 28%.
- McKissick led the state party in censuring South Carolina Rep. Tom Rice for voting in favor of Trump’s second impeachment in January.
- Trump, who remains the GOP kingmaker, reiterated his support for McKissick in a Friday statement.
- “Drew and I have done nothing but WIN together, and that will continue into the future,” he wrote.
The lawyer: Wood, who served as “the lawyer for the damned” championing figures beleaguered in the mainstream media, gained national notoriety for advocating increasingly radical theories of election fraud in President Joe Biden’s Nov. 3 victory over Trump.