The Democratic mayor of a Texas border town last month implored President Joe Biden to stop releasing illegal immigrants into his city.
The video: Bruno Lozano, mayor of Del Rio, made the appeal in mid-February, asking Biden not to strain city resources amid the severe weather crisis that ravaged the Lone Star state.
Lozano, who runs a non-profit which provides aid to illegal immigrants, asked Biden to put a halt to “measures regarding the release of immigrants awaiting court dates, into the city of Del Rio and surrounding areas.”
- “If you do send these individuals into our community, we will be forced to make a decision to leave them without resources under these dire circumstances,” he continued as images of empty grocery store shelves and long food lines appeared on the screen. “Please make another plan for this federal issue.”
- In addition to the city’s ravaged infrastructure and thinly stretched relief resources, Lozano cited the public health implications of allowing asylum-seekers to occupy Del Rio.
- “Releasing the migrant population without any COVID-19 protection protocols is undermining your commitment to the stance against COVID-19,” he said.
Context: Former President Donald Trump used his Sunday speech at the Conservative Political Action Conference to blast the current administration’s immigration policy, which has increased the flow of foreign nationals over the southern border.
- While his sights are set on a more sweeping immigration reform bill, which would provide a path to citizenship for up to 11 million illegal immigrants, Biden has undone Trump’s Remain in Mexico policy, allowing asylum-seekers to walk free while their cases are being processed.
- “The Biden administration is now actively expediting the admission of illegal migrants, enabling them to lodge frivolous asylum claims and admitting them by the thousands and thousands and thousands a day, crowded together in unsanitary conditions, despite the ongoing economic and public health crisis — COVID-19, or as I call it, the China virus,” Trump told CPAC attendees.